Continental School District No. 39
Job Title: SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGIST
Reports To: Superintendent/ Principal
Contract Terms: School Year
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provides expertise in the development of appropriate social, emotional and educational development of each student. Also promotes behavioral management, counseling and consultation, and educational evaluation. The Psychologist establishes and maintains an atmosphere which emphasizes mutual respect, self-worth, self-discipline, confidence, cooperation, consideration and responsibility.
· Serves as a child advocate, promoting the educational, social and emotional growth of students and maintains a positive attitude toward his/her profession and work with students
· Provides consultation with students, teachers, other school personnel and parents regarding behavioral and/or academic concerns in the regular classroom and/or outside the classroom environment
· Provides individual psychoeducational evaluations
· Makes program and Special Education Placement recommendations
· Reviews the placement of Special Education students
· Provides the individual and/or group counseling and related services to students
· Serves as a resource to special committees, school administrators and other school personnel
· Serves as a liaison between school and community organizations
· Provides informational programs for students, teachers, other school personnel and parents
· Conducts educational research
· Disseminates information regarding current psychological research issues and practices
· Cooperates with the training and supervision of university students
· Participates in professional growth activities
· Maintains the high standards of psychological services in Continental School District.
· Works closely with parents and the community to better the school's capability to serve the needs of students
· Performs supervisory functions as required for the health, welfare and safety of students
· Exhibits patience, courtesy and tact when dealing with others
· Performs related duties as assigned
A. REQUIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
· Master's degree
· Arizona certification as a School Psychologist (PSS)
· Two years of experience as a practicing school psychologist
· Training within an APA approved school psychology program
· Doctorate in School Psychology
C. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
· Ability to multi-task
· Ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing
· Ability to concentrate for extended periods of time
· Ability to remain seated for extended periods of time
· Ability to prioritize and organize
· Ability to exercise judgment in accordance with established procedures
· Ability to communicate with district personnel of all levels
· Ability to work alone and as part of a team
D. COMMITMENT & DEPENDABILITY
· Willingness to perform as an integral member of a successful team;
· Dedication to providing the highest level of service;
· Adherence to policies and procedures.
TIME MANAGEMENT: Must plan as much as one year in advance;
STRESS MANAGEMENT: Moderately stressful position with some time constraints and deadlines;
PUBLIC CONTACT: Interacts with employees, students, parents, and the general public;
LEVEL OF RESPONSIBILITY: Must oversee program and students and may have the responsibility for equipment, money and highly confidential records;
EVALUATION PROCEDURE: In accordance with Governing Board policy;
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Director of Student Services
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None.
Our school is located in the small retirement community of Green Valley. Originally established in the 1960's to be a community of Homeowner Organizations (HOA), it now boasts a thriving population of over 21,000 people. While still predominately a retirement community, it now serves almost 200 families. Our school and retirement community work hand in hand for the betterment of Green Valley. Our students benefit from the many ‘elders’ who volunteer their time and expertise, making our district a truly unique place to be.
Continental School has served the community of Green Valley since the early 1900's. Our name comes from the Continental Rubber Company, which grew various crops in the area to the east. Although we are located in the desert southwest, Green Valley gets its name from the many mature pecan trees that grow in our area, providing a brilliant, green contrast to the desert landscape around us.
Feel free to browse any of the links below to learn more about our district.